Monday, May 23, 2005

The Bog Blog - Our Adventure in a Richmond Bog

More spring weather today. Our original plan was to drop Tamara off at her barn near Steveston and then ride around the Richmond dyke on our bikes. It was still pouring cats and dogs when we left, however, so I suggested leaving the bikes at home. After heading south for five minutes, the rain stopped.

I should have known better. From our home in Vancouver, I can often see a bright spot over Tsawwassen and Richmond on rainy days. I've heard that the native word "Tsawwassen" means "hole in the sky". Of course, I've also heard that it means "looking toward the sea".

My kids give me a hard time because I pronounce the "s" in Tsawwassen. They (misguidedly) say I'm the only person who does. As far as I know, it should be pronounced "Chewasin" - not "Tsawwassin" or "Tawwassin." The phonetic mistake is apparently the fault of an Ottawa bureaucrat who incorrectly named it Tsawwassen. Anyway, I've never heard anyone pronounce it "Chewasin", so I'll stick with my version for now.

We had a pleasant walk through the bog in Richmond Nature Park. In places, the trail would squish delightfully if we stepped heavily. I tried stomping my heal through, without much luck. I found some water a few inches down but couldn't get through the peat. I suppose the peat is at least a foot or two thick.

Well, the weather is looking much better now. Ken, Jr and I have a 4:28 tee time. Cheers!

TODAY'S VANCOUVER HEADLINES

ELECTION GAG LAW CONSTITUTIONAL: B.C.'S TOP COURT
The B.C. Court of Appeal has reinstated Canada's election gag law, ruling that limiting freedom of expression during a federal election is justified.

NO CHARGES IN TOUR BUS 'HIJACKING'
The U.S. tour guide who was arrested at gunpoint in Richmond on Thursday, after commandeering a bus carrying a group of tourists, says he was just trying to keep his customers happy.
Ken's Comment: This was a funny story. The tour guide took off with the bus when the driver stopped to make a phone call. The bus was later swarmed by an armed SWAT team.

BEAR SIGHTINGS UP DRAMATICALLY
Complaints about nuisance bears in the Lower Mainland are up nearly 400 per cent so far this year over the same period in 2004.

FREE PAPERS CLOGGING RAIL LINES
Vancouver's SkyTrains are getting an over-Dose of that free daily newspaper and others like Metro and 24 Hours.


Vancouver Diary Blogs

Park 90 Feet Over Robson Street? Vancouver Police Department - Nurturing a Culture of Corruption Everyone's Raving About The RAV Gurmant Grewal Adds Madcap Diversions to Canadian Politics Vancouver - Funnest City on English Bay Vancouver Police: Not Pubic Relations Experts Engine 374 Pavilion - Vancouver's Best Kept Historical Secret I Like Mine Wild! Canadian Government's War on International Education Canadian Government Shoots Canada In The Foot - Same Old Story

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home